What to do after surgery? If you have received local anesthesia, you can leave the office, but if sedation and anesthesia are used, you must be transferred to the recovery room. After the surgery, you must follow all the points mentioned by the dentist. Among the most important of these points are the following:
– Bleeding: On the first day after surgery, you may see bleeding at the wound site, and we recommend that you refrain from spitting out the liquid in your mouth and swallow it as much as possible. Do not remove the blood clot formed in the injured area.
– Use of medicine: the dentist will prescribe some medicine for you to control the pain caused by the surgery, and you can also use general painkillers. Ice compresses can also reduce pain and swelling.
– Swelling and bruising: Swelling and bruising are normal and may last for several days, but usually after 3 days of surgery, we will see a decrease in swelling. Bruising may last for several weeks.
– Diet: drinking liquids is highly recommended, but you should note that drinking carbonated liquids and hot drinks will delay your recovery. Do not use a straw to drink liquids because the act of sucking causes the blood clot to separate from the surgical site. During the first 24 hours of surgery, avoid eating hard foods and use soft and watery foods.
– Mouth cleaning: in the first 24 hours after surgery, rinse your mouth with plain water and avoid spitting. After 24 hours, you can use mouthwash and toothbrush. If you use a toothbrush, avoid rubbing it on the surgical area. After the first day, rinse your mouth with salt water regularly and at least 6 times a day.
– Smoking: Smoking is one of the main factors that will delay the treatment period. If you are a smoker, stop smoking for at least 3 days.
– Physical activities: avoid any hard physical activities on the day of surgery and start your normal sports routine from the day after surgery.
– If you notice that the healing process is delayed, you can go to the dentist’s office or communicate your problem with him by phone.